#BringThemHomeNow

Sep 13, 2009

Rabbi Andy Sacks on JPost: "My Dreams for the New year"

http://cgis.jpost.com/Blogs/conservative/entry/rosh_hashanah_a_time_for


Sunday Sep 13, 2009

Rosh Hashanah - A time for dreaming

[]  
Posted by Rabbi Andrew Sacks


I dream of the day when all parking lots will be open on Shabbat in Jerusalem - but nobody will want to use them.

I dream of a day when there will be no protests if drivers do decide to use them.

I dream of the day when we have a Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem who comes from the religious Zionist world - and she is able to serve all of the city's residents.

I dream of the day when religion will not be used as an excuse to avoid paying taxes or serving our country.

I dream of the day when all of Jerusalem's residents will recognize the right to free speech and the Pride Parade will take place without concern for violence.

I dream of the day when extremists will not march in Arab towns for no reason other than to provoke.

I dream of a day when hospital rabbis will care about the spiritual welfare of the patients and not just about Kashrut and candle lighting.

I dream of the day when the official Rabbanut will realize that the time has come to find creative ways to release Agunot.

I dream of the day when all religious schools will teach the subjects necessary to help lift students out of the cycle of poverty.

I dream of the day when Jewish religious schools will not exclude students based the color of their skin.

I dream of the day when all drivers on the road realize that we are all created in the image of God and it maybe time to slow down just a bit.

I dream of the day when the Interior Ministry will not discriminate on the basis of race and all converts will be given equal treatment.

I dream of the day when Ethiopians may marry with any rabbi.

I dream of the day when our members of Knesset will show respect to one another as our tradition demands.

I dream of the day when I will be able to figure out what the Kashrut certification in a restaurant window really means (Badatz, Mahadrin, Mehadrin Min HaMehadrin, Eda Haredit, Mehudar,etc.) without confusion.

I dream of the day when each Hevrah Kaddisha will allow women to say Kaddish for a deceased family member.

I dream of the day when public institutions, education, religious services, will be accessible to all and funding will be objective.

I dream of the day when we can feel that our political leaders better understand democratic principles, refrain from duplicity and equal provide equal privileges for all.

I dream of the day when our buses, synagogues, and sidewalks, will all be wheelchair accessible.

I dream of the day when all Jews may come to understand that there "is more than one way to live as a Jew," and Masorti  will become a normative option.

I dream of the day when all Israeli citizens will be able to marry within the State of Israel, in keeping with their theological approach - regardless of religious affiliation or sexual orientation.
 
I dream of the day when Holocaust survivors will be able to spend their last years with economic dignity.

I dream of the day when all religious leaders will advise their followers that organ donation is in keeping with religion.

I dream of the day when divorce rates will be lower-but until then that the process of Jewish divorce in Israel be less humiliating.

I dream of the day when all citizens of Israel will be able to buy a home wherever they wish.

I dream of the day when all army conscripts will finish their military obligations and return home in safety.

I dream of the day when we will forge productive relationships with our regional neighbors.
 
I dream of the day when caring for our environment is recognized as a Jewish value.

I dream of the day when, if we are not all vegetarians, we can reduce factory farming.

I dream of the day when the Lion will lie down with the Lamb.

Total Pageviews